After a long and arduous pre-season (there was a few there the days we had either free beer or free food), we returned to the Nest to commence our title defence against old rivals Frankston.
Drenched in sunlight the Bray Oval was turned out in better nick than the MCG on boxing day. The twos did the curator justice with a great win which set the mood for the day.
Chubba was his usual prepared self bringing a whiteboard full of instructions that was quickly pared down to, see ball, get ball. So out we went to get the ball.
After losing the toss (I stood there while the other bloke guessed which hand the umpire had his whistle in) I copped some abuse from Gas and Gaz then headed to the bench for a bit of Bruce Montieth style captaincy.
The first play of the day set the tone for the whole day with Big Nick tappingg the ball cleanly to Chubba who moved the ball to Dusty who goaled.
I can't remember the order of events for the rest of the day, but here's a few things I do remember.
- Despite being provided with silver service delivery from the midfield (including the ruckman) Dusty took the chance at quarter time to remind us the even the most expensive silver could do with more polish.
- Humpa was more or less demanding that we publically execute the opposition (we were about 100 points up at the time).
- Huddo hit the post three times taking the all time tally the Hudson family have hit the post to four.
- Stapo goaled twice with the ball moving like it was being driven by a drunken drone pilot.
- Dario got so bored he ran the length of the ground to kick a goal.
- Copey somehow found himself in the forward line.
- Deano tapped directly to Gas at a centre bounce and then pretended he meant it.
- Gas was in top form with the ball but better form with the lip wondering aloud if he was having deja vu when he slotted one of his five majors.
- The new boys Norm, Bear, Gus and Matt all slotted in perfectly. Norm leaving in the Hawaiian shirt.
- Little Nick hit the post then kicked a goal.
- Chubba, Hoops, Dill and Jase were hard at the ball all day.
- Pez did his ankle.
- Again Macca ran the show beautifully, Matt ran the messages clearly and Pete and Lachie applied the strapping securely.
After wondering if we'd have enough players only a week a go it was great to have a solid win.
Also great to see so many people down at the Nest enjoying the day.
Score: Baldies 25 14 164
Frankston 3 4 22
Goals: Gas 5, Huddo 4, Dusty 3, Big Nick, Norm, Stapo, Bear 2, Jase, Hoops, Little Nick
Best: Gas, Bug Nick, Chubba, Huddo, Norm, Dusty